Monday, May 11, 2009

Morel Mushrooms


With all of the needed rain that we have had lately; I have needed a reason to force myself to go outside to keep up my daily walks with Bumble and Zippy. It sometimes is hard to find motivation on a rainy day. I have seen pictures of morel mushrooms and knew that they probably grew here. I decided to try and find some in the woods that surround our property. Well....after many days of hunting......I was successful! I was just ready to give up when I looked down and about 4 inches from my foot was a morel. I have been having the best time finding these strange little mushrooms. I have to admit that I was so excited to find these first two mushrooms that I picked them before I got a shot of them in their native habitat. Here they are in my kitchen on a paper towel. They were very tasty! I hope to collect more of these beautiful mushrooms. They are the only wild mushroom that I feel comfortable collecting as they have very distinctive features that allow you to be confident that you have the real thing.

1 comment:

  1. Morels!!! I had no idea we had morels growing in our part of the world!! These are gorgeous.

    And I love your blog pictures - more please!!

    Donald and Harley and I send hugs from Topsail. We'll be home Saturday.

    ReplyDelete